This is a photograph of Highway 646 from George Dues' (1852 - 1924) Home. In this photograph, we see a rural road with a drainage ditch from each side. in the center of the roads stands two people, a woman with a coat and an unidentifiable individual. The viewer can see a fence on the rightmost side of the photograph. judging from George Dues' life, we can assume that the photograph was taken in the 1910s - early 1920s.
This is a photograph of a family of 5 in the Dickinson Picnic grounds. In the photograph are 2 men, most likely father, and son, with 3 women, most likely mother, and daughters. Behind them appear to be other families enjoying the picnic. The entire mood in the photograph appears to be cordial.
This is a Family photograph of the Drouilhet family taken in the mid-1920s on Oleander and Palm Drive. Standing in the photo is William Louis Drouilhet (1877 - 1971) and on the 1907 Mors Automobile sits Mary Ellen Smith Drouilhet (1881 - 1955) and their youngest daughter, Mary Ellen Drouilhet (1922 - 2009). The Mors automobile comes from France, making it an expensive car, which signifies that the family is quite wealthy. Seeing the age of the daughter, who appears to be the ages of 3 or 5, we can assume that this photograph was taken between 1925 and 1927.
This is a Birthday photograph of a member of the Strom Family taken on March 25th, 1929. there are 12 children in the photograph, with the one in the middle most likely being the Birthday boy, mainly because he's the only one with a beaming smile. The other children appear to be smiling, neutral, or in the case of the boy behind the birthday boy, enraged. Behind them appears to be a store advertising Lucky Strike Cigarettes and a soda.
This is a photograph of Dickinson Nurses during the First World War taken in 1918. There are 17 nurses in the photograph, with ages ranging from their 20s to at most their late 30s. Nurses of the Red Cross played a significant role during the Great War, tending hospital ships, trains, stations, and the frontlines with over 10 thousand being sent to the Front Lines tending Allied troops. By the end of the war, over 21 thousand would have served in the Red Cross in the Army Nurse Corps.
This is a photograph celebrating the marriage of Anthony Dues (1893 - 1971) and Teressa Parke (1894 - 1986). around them are several family members, grooms, and bridesmaids of both families as well as the flowergirls sitting in the front. Teressa Parke sits proudly in the center in her marriage gown while her husband sits right beside her. The mood in the photograph appears to be joyful, as there are several people seen smiling, except for the flower girls who appear bored or confused. As of now, it can be assumed that this photograph was taken after WWI in 1918, and before the birth of their first child in 1922.
This is a photograph of 3 cartloads of strawberries being loaded up for the Katy Flyer taken on April 25th, 1909 provided by Beulah Mae Owens Hughes (1899 -1981). There appear to be around 50 men and even boys of various ages seen in the photograph. The photograph reads: "STRAWBERRIES 3 CARLOADS FOR KATY FLYER APRIL 25 - 09. DICKINSON TEX. SSCHLUETER HOUSTON". The cars are owned by the American Express Company. There is a man in the center-right of the photograph who appears to be well-dressed, most likely a manager.
This is the Business Card of James Morton Parke (1866 - 1934). Mr. Park was an agent who was already well associated with other Railroad companies by the time he came to Dickinson Texas in 1901. These companies were International and Great Northern Railway, Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway, G. H. & H. Railroad, Pacific Express Company, American Express Company, and Western Union Telegraph Co. The design of the card is simple and straight to the point, detailing his name, company affiliations, and location: Dickinson, Texas. The date of the card is unlisted.
This is a painted Portrait of James Morton Parke (1866 - 1934). Mr. Parke was not only the first Stationmaster of Dickinson but also actively promoted settlement in the town during his tenure on the Board of Directors in the Dickinson Business League. You can learn more about his life in the article below. It is not fully known when the painting was made. It is also not currently known who painted the portrait.
This is a photograph of the Dues family. In the front sits George H. Dues (1852 - 1924) and his wife Frances Catherine H. Dues (1856 - 1944). Behind them, from left to right, are Julia B. Dues (1891 - 1937), Henry George Dues Jr. (1880 - 1933), Anthony John Dues (1893 - 1971), Leo Henry Dues (1890 - 1943), Clara E. Dues (1896 - 1968), and Gregory William Dues (1896 - 1968). The youngest, Gregory, seems to be the only one smiling in the photo, which breaks the standard trend of the time, where you didn't smile during a family photo. From the US army uniform that Anthony wears, the photo may have been taken during or after the US entered WW1.
This is a photograph of John Augustine Desel (1883 - 1941) posing with 9 other people in a Tennis Net. From the attire of the people in the photograph, we could see that the people shown in the image were on the wealthier end. Everyone in the photo is also cordial, with the individual with the Broccoli cut posing his tennis racket as a guitar. The location and date is unknown with the closest guestimate being the 1920s at the latest.
The image is of the Methodist Church Schoolhouse students. There are 24 male and female students in the photograph, and their male teacher is shown standing on the top right-hand side. The photo was taken in front of the Schoolhouse itself. This is the First Schoolhouse in Dickinson, Texas.
This sepia photograph captures what seems to be the McAdams school while it was still being built, the building stands in the distance of the picture to see its entirety. There is still constriction equipment present in the photograph. No people are shown in it. The image is taken from a field.
The photograph is of Lucy's General Store, later Collins Grocery Store, and Feed. The image is in Black and white, with six individuals posing in front of the establishment: four men and two children. Two men are wearing farmer hats, while the children are dressed nicely. One of them has a vest on.
The photograph is of Jimmy Due's first communion in 1939. The image has seventeen children present in white church attire. There are also eight adults present in the back grow. In the image's background, we can see The Golden Pheasant establishment's sign displayed.
This Sepia photograph is of the home of James M. Parke. It is beautifully decorated. Six individuals are present in the picture; beyond the fence, two young boys are wearing modest attire, one of which is on a bike; in the middle of them is a young girl in a dress wielding a barrel. By the home entrance, we see a woman looking at the photographer. In the yard, a man, presumably James Parke himself, and a woman in a white dress adjacent to him is present. The property looks very vast and has a farmhouse next to it on its left side. There are no animals present, but the area has its separate fencing.
This sepia photograph is of Jack Menotti's Service station, once located on Hwy 3 North, three blocks past Deats Rd. The Image has a sign that reads the establishment's name along with "Southport Gasoline." two gentlemen are posing for the photograph, each with one arm on the South port gasoline sign's pole. In front of them is another sign that states "Quaker State Motor oil" and one that promotes its gasoline prices being 13 cents a gallon.
This image is a more modern photograph of Henson Home furnishings. A blue pickup truck is parked in the front of the establishment. In the image, we can also see street lights all presumably red to have traffic yield. The street name is not present in the picture.
This black-and-white image is of the Hollywood Theatre in 1941. Its front sign has the classic theater sideways exhibition that reads "Hollywood." under the sign, there is a section that promotes the plays or movies it is showcasing. In this image, the show it promotes is "When Ladies Meet, Crawford and Taylor."
This photograph shows where Gulf Refining Co. used to stand. It is now a blank white building that appears to be abandoned. There are no signs present. Its iconic gas pumps are gone. Its parking lot is empty but serves as a reminder of a service station important to the early citizens of Dickinson, Texas.
The sepia Photograph is of Gulf Refining Co., a Service station. A man stands in front of the establishment, looking towards the photographer. Adjacent to him is a sign that reads," That Good Gulf Gasoline." There is a rear end of a car in the image, and the body style is unknown. There are three legible gas pumps.
The sepia Photograph is of Gulf Refining Co., a Service station. A man stands in front of the establishment, looking towards a sign that reads," That Good Gulf Gasoline." Another man stands on one of the pumps looking toward the vehicles parked on the side; such cars appear to be from the 1930s as they resemble a body style popular at the time. There are four legible gas pumps.
The sepia Photograph is of Gulf Refining Co., a Service station. A man stands in front of the establishment, looking towards a sign that reads," That Good Gulf Gasoline." There are no cars in the image but three legible gas pumps.
The photograph is in sepia. It shows the Golden Pheasant store located on Hwy 3 & 517. The image shows a car with the 1920s/30s body style parked in front of the entrance, possibly getting gas. The pump appears to be labeled "Indian Gas."
The photograph is in sepia. It shows the Golden Pheasant store located on Hwy 3 & 517. The image shows a young girl standing out front near the Gas pump. The pump appears to be labeled "Indian Gas." a Car is seen in its background with the 1920s/1930 body style.